Pages

Saturday, December 06, 2008

They're Done!


Both Christmas vests are done! I'm so excited. However, JAE's doesn't fit over his head :( I'm giong to have to figure that part out...probably cut a slit or something. It fit before I put the 2 row neck border on. JD's is a little snug to get over his head too, but at least it goes on.
**Edit - I took the neck boarder off so it will fit over his head. I looks alright, not to weird.**

Things I learned how to do while knitting these:
1. Frogging. I was 3/4 of the way done with the back of JD's and switched patterns so had to frog half of it. Getting those stiches back onto the needle was a pain in the butt.

2. Knitting with 3 colors at the same time. Not so bad. JD's was a bit tight which you can tell when looking at it. JAE's is better since I knew to keep it a loser.

3. Knitting in the round. Not hard at all.

4. Picking up stiches. A pain, but easier after a few times.

5. Blocking. Didn't even know what this was until now. :)

Patterns:
For JD's size (3T) I used this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/argylish with a few alterations; only did 3 diamonds and the neck boarder doesn't cross over (because it wouldn't fit over his head) Also, I didn't do the duplicate stitch over the white part. I did the 3 colors at the same time and left it that way. Only used one size needle - Size 6.

JAE's pattern - size 9 months: I used the same one as JD's as a base, but had to rework it all.
Back
CO 66
Knit 1 row
Rows 2-7: K2 P2 to end
Rows 8-?: Alternate Knit and Purl rows (throughout whole vest)
At 5 inches - Bind Off 4 at beginning of next 2 rows.
Bind Off 1 at beginning of next 14 rows
Work even until 9 1/2 inches from bottom of vest
Knit/Purl 10 (actually i would suggest 7 or 8 for larger head opening, but I did 10), BO 24, Knit 10.
Place stiches on holder for later.

Front
Work same as the back until 3 inches.
Work Argyle Pattern. Should be compleated once you reach 5 inches.
Bind Off 4 at beginning of next 2 rows.
Bind Off 1 at beginning of next 11 rows.
Bind Off 1 at beginning of next row, work 21 stiches, Knit2tog, Add in a second skien, Knit to end.
Bind Off 1 at beginning of next 2 rows while also decreasing 1 at neck edge on both sides. (this will compleate the 14 rows that are the same as the back.)
Decrease 1 on each side of the neck edge until only 10 stiches remain on each side.
Work even until 9 1/2 inches from bottom of vest
Do a 3 way bind off of shoulders...joining the front and back together.

Armbands
Pick up 48
K2 P2 in the round for 4 rows
Bind Off

Neckband
Pick up 66 or 68 or 72 (sorry I can't remember exactly how many it was.)
K2 P2 back and forth (not in the round) for 2 rows.
Bind Off
You can keep the V in front or sew the 2 sides together.

Sorry if the pattern is confusing. Its the first one I've actually written out.


I'm taking the boys' Christmas pics this week so those will get posted too.

No comments: